French and Surfing in Biarritz
Where better to enjoy an action-packed surf-and-study holiday than in Europe’s surfing capital? A city renowned worldwide for its beautiful beaches, delightful waters, and active surf culture, Biarritz attracts thrill-seekers from across the globe. With 6 beaches stretching almost 10 km and rolling swell available in all seasons, you’re sure to find suitable surfing conditions here. When you’re done surfing, you can explore this picturesque coastal city. Its delightful centre is full of tree-lined avenues and café terraces, fashion boutiques, and eateries to suit any palate or budget. What’s more, its temperate climate makes it warm and welcoming whatever the time of year.
You’ll find our French school just a short walk from the famous Côte des Basques beach, where the surfing lessons themselves take place. This language + sport package is open to surfers of all ability levels, so whether you’re a novice or an expert you can take advantage of this prime surfing destination and spend your afternoons riding the waves!
French and Surfing
Our French and Surfing course in Biarritz consists of 16 group French lessons per week, which take place in classes of no more than 12 students. Lessons are held in the mornings between 09:00 and 12:15 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. The classes are totally immersive - i.e. held only in French - and students are grouped according to their starting ability level. Studying in this way allows all participants to progress naturally but significantly during their stay.
You’ll also have 5 surf sessions per week, usually scheduled each weekday though this may vary according to weather conditions. The lessons are 90 minutes long and are taught by expert local providers at Biarritz’s best beaches. Equipment (wetsuits and boards) is included in the course fee, though you are welcome to bring your own if you prefer.
Course Duration: Any
Level: French classes are suitable for students who have A2 - B2 French ability. The surf lessons are conducted in French, so this course is not suitable for complete beginners. All levels of surfing experience are accepted.
- For a fully immersive language experience, we recommend staying with a local homestay host. All hosts are native French speakers, so you’ll have the chance to practice your French skills throughout your stay, not just in class. When you select this option, you’ll have a private single or twin* bedroom and access to the home’s communal spaces. As standard you’ll share the bathroom with your host(s) and any other students in the home, though some hosts can offer private bathroom access for an additional fee.
- Rooms are offered on a breakfast-included or half-board basis (breakfast and dinner). We highly recommend the half-board package as it is not only cost-effective but also gives you guaranteed social time with your host(s) in the evening. A supplement is applied if a special diet is required (i.e. vegan, dairy-free, halal, etc.). Hosts live up to 35 minutes from the school by public transport, if you prefer to be closer, you can reserve lodging within 20 minutes of the school for an added fee. All hosts provide bed linens and towels, which are changed regularly, your host(s) will either do your laundry for you or let you use the home’s facilities once a week. Most hosts offer Wi-Fi access, but you should advise us at the time of booking if this a requirement for you. You will have your own key to come and go as you please, though you must respect house rules and schedules.
- Please note that under-18s must book homestay lodging.
- For more independence, you can select a studio apartment. These apartments are suitable for 1 or 2 people* and include a private bathroom, a fully equipped kitchenette (fridge, microwave, and hob), and a living area. The apartments are located around the central area of Biarritz and are generally within walking distance of the school. Studios are offered on a self-catering basis, allowing you to cook for yourself or sample local restaurants as you prefer. Bed linens are included and changed regularly, you should bring your own towels. All studios have Wi-Fi access.
- *Twin rooms are only available to students travelling together. If you select a shared room but are travelling alone, you will be swapped to a single room.
As well as the surf sessions included in this course package, you can also take part in various activities organised by the school. These allow you to experience French culture first-hand and to socialise with your fellow language-learners. Since all activities are conducted in French, you’ll also get extra language exposure and practice, allowing you to continue learning outside the classroom.
Many activities are available free of charge, though some may incur an additional fee to cover entrance and/or transportation costs. The exact schedule changes throughout the year but may include:
- Walking tours around Biarritz
- Trips to the beach
- Yoga classes
- Group games and/or parties
- Food- and wine-tasting workshops
- Sports like rafting or petanque
- Thalassotherapy sessions
- Trips to the theatre or the cinema
- Half- and full-day excursions to local points of interest including Saint-Jean de Luz, Bayonne, and Espelette
- Plus seasonal activities available in the city
How to get there
Biarritz is served by Biarritz Pays Basque Airport. This international airport is located just 10 minutes from the city by car and is accessible from many worldwide locations.
From here, you can either make your own way to your lodging or we can arrange an airport transfer service for you. If you select this service, a driver will be waiting for you when you land and will take you directly to your accommodation. If you select this service on departure as well, you will be taken back to the airport in time for your departing flight. A transfer service is also available at Biarritz train station.
If you are struggling to find a flight directly into Biarritz, we can arrange transfer services to and from the airports or train stations in San Sebastian, Bilbao, and Bordeaux. Please contact us for information about pricing.
You should arrange to arrive in Biarritz on the Sunday before your course starts and to depart on the Saturday after it finishes. We may be able to arrange extra nights on arrival and/or departure for you if needed.
Location of our school in Biarritz
4.2 / 5
4.1 / 5
4.4 / 5
Prices for Biarritz
Choose your course below to view our prices in pounds sterling (GBP), US dollars (USD) or euros (EUR).